Red Cross Lifeguard Certification Course
The purpose of the American Red Cross Lifeguarding Course is to provide entry-level lifeguard participants with the knowledge & skills to prevent, recognize & respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services personal take over.
To enroll in the Lifeguarding course you must be at least 15 years old before the last scheduled class session. To participate in the course you must be able to pass a prerequisite skills evaluation by doing the following:
1. Complete the online portion of the course by the first day of class. This online portion will take around 7 hours to complete. You must email or text the instructor by first day of class your completion page.
2. Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. You may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke, or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
3. Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. You should place your hands under your armpits.
4. Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
-Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. Your face may be in or out of the water. Goggles are not allowed.
-Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
-Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on your back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object while keeping your face at or near the surface so you are able to get a breath. You should not swim the distance underwater. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
The prerequisite skills evaluation will occur on the first day of the course (you will need a swimsuit). Please bring a swimsuit and a towel for the skills evaluation and for every class. Please have a one-piece swimsuit, board shorts, or jammers. No two-piece bikini except for sports bikini that will stay on when doing save techniques.
To successfully complete the course you must attend the entire course, participate in all skill sessions/drills, activities and scenarios, demonstrate competency in all required skills and scenarios, and pass the final written exam with a minimum grade of 80%.
The practice sessions will require some strenuous physical activity. you are encouraged to check with your health care professional before participating in the practice sessions. If you have a medical condition or disability that might prevent you from participating in the activities or have questions about being able to fully participate in the lifeguarding course, please contact Jackie to discuss prior to the beginning of the course.
Upon successful completion of the course, you will receive an American Red Cross certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED valid for 2 years.
Tip: Bring extra towels, sweats, or extra clothes to wear while in the classroom. During the classroom sessions, you may have food, snacks, and drinks. There are a refrigerator and microwave available for use.
To get registered please call the shop at 865-523-9177. For specific questions please contact Jackie directly at [email protected] or 865-207-7297.
- Friday 5:00pm-9:00pm (bring suit everyday)
- Saturday 9:00am-7:00pm (with break for lunch)
- Sunday 9:00am-7:00pm (with break for lunch)
2021 Dates: TBD
Cost: $195.00 – Includes materials, certification, and CPR mask
Comments are closed